Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Finding my passion at 30?

Since I've had a lot of time of my hands recently, I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do. With my life. With my self. What makes me happy?

I know it doesn't take much to make me happy. Finding a coin on the ground can completely turn my day around. Hugging my cat will always make me smile. I like reading. I don't remember ever not being able to read, and my father still brags to this day about how when I was tested for my skills when entering 4th grade, I was at a college reading level. But reading doesn't pay the bills. So what other skills do I have?

Sadly, none.

This has sent me into a depression that I have been battling the past couple weeks. My marketable job skills are subpar, to say the least. Sure, I have basic office skills. I can file, alphabetize, and enter data, but so can a monkey. I know Microsoft Office, but so does everyone else. Even my grandmother knows how to create a word document. My 13 year old niece can probably set up a better excel spreadsheet than I can.

I have an AA degree in Medical Science. I love medicine, but hate people. I would love to be in a lab somewhere crunching data behind the scenes. With no experience in the medical field, my hopes of that happening are zilch.

I love animals. I have applied many times to different animal shelters/kennels. No response.

I've been reading more into the prepping/homesteading/minimalism/self sufficiency lifestyle. I know that some combination of those things is what I want. Lately I've been envisioning a house on a decent piece of land, with a chicken coop and a garden in the backyard. I sell my extra eggs and produce, and work doing medical billing/coding from my home, which has two cats and a dog. But is this what I really want, or what just sounds nice now?

No comments:

Post a Comment