Monday, October 21, 2013

lessons from a dwindling cabinet

So yesterday marks one month of being unemployed. During that time period I have had no unemployment or food stamps coming in. We went grocery shopping once. Today my card for food stamps came in, and naturally my first reaction was to run to Wal-mart. DF (dear fiance) immediately texted not to buy any food. And thus begins our constant battle again. I am always naturally inclined to stock up on food. My mother always had a panty full of food when I was growing up, then as an adult my ex-husband and I were always below the poverty line, so having even a weeks worth of food was a luxury. Now that I had the money and knowledge of prepping, of course I'm always thinking about what foods are on sale, what do I need to stock up on, what am I going to be making, etc. But DF absolutely goes crazy if we have more than a weeks worth of food. I truly have no idea why. I'm not letting food go to waste, nor am I buying so much I am storing them outside of the kitchen. But he is insisting that I can't buy more food until the cabinets are empty. I worry about this. We have had screaming matches about the amount of food in the house. He is insistent that we don't need that much food, that at most we only need two weeks worth. Since my argument of "what I lose my job" has unfortunately happened, we are testing my food stockpile.

On the positive side, this has shown me my mistakes in what I am stocking up. We do not eat soup as much as I thought we did, but we do eat a lot more macaroni and cheese. We eat a lot of mashed potatoes, but not so much couscous or anything with bread crumbs.

However, since I have been trying to reduce the amount of pre-packaged food we eat, there is very little I can do. I'm going to have to start looking up homemade recipes so we can stop eating the boxed macaroni and cheese all the time. But the whole point is to have food on hand in case I can't obtain more food for a period of time. Time to get creative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment