Sunday, September 22, 2013

Breakfast win or fail?

This morning I was able to sleep in somewhat, so I had enough energy to actually cook breakfast instead of my usual "here's some cereal now shut up". One of the best tips I have ever heard to start being more self sufficient is to simply cook your own meals. Once you do that, start cooking your meals from scratch. Now, I'm sure when you have a family and kids, you are bound by unspoken law to cook most of your meals. At least, that's what I remember growing up. But my mom only worked part time when we were kids. I work full time, and I only have to feed myself and the fiance. So dinners of porkchops, broccoli casserole and dinner rolls haven't been on the menu in a long time. But breakfast, I still hold my own when I want to. Usually I whip up some pancakes (from a box) or toast some bread (store-bought) or waffles (store bought), but today I upped my game. Having previously mastered the art of making eggs sunny side up, which may not seem like a big deal but my only prior knowledge was scrambled. Scrambled with cheese if I wanted to be fancy. So keeping with my desire to broaden my knowledge and do more for myself, I made the fiance two sunny side up eggs (regular eggs), toast, and BACON! That's right, I went to my Publix, got a hunk of (pre-packaged) uncooked bacon and fried some slices up. No more microwaving or pre-cooked bacon for me! Quickly learned two things: Bacon takes FOREVER to cook, and it is highly advisable to own a pair of tongs. I endured the spraying grease and fried up a few slices, eggs, and toast and presented it to the fiance with an air of self satisfaction. I made my man breakfast. Woman good. Grunt. And I'm fairly positive that if he hadn't been trying to figure out why the server at his job that he just created wasn't working, I'm sure he would've been in awe of my domestic abilities as well.

But throughout all that, I notice small things. What did I pull out while preparing? Pam spray. Even though I forgot to use it for his eggs, I'm pretty sure Pam, while useful, isn't all that great. And if I have to run to the store to buy it, that defeats my purpose of taking care of myself. So when it came time for my eggs, I used some of the bacon grease from his bacon instead of the Pam. I realize this does not seem like a big deal for most of you, and I hope you at least chuckle at this part. But I have never done this before. I have always seen the can of meat drippings by the kitchen sink in my moms house, but I always assumed it was because you can't just pour it down the drain. So I did the same thing, and when the can was full I just threw it out. But using it to grease my pans? Never crossed my mind. Surely there was some sort of bacteria or mold growing in it. But I was wrong, as many people have multiple uses for meat drippings. Also, when the bacon was done, before putting it on the breakfast plate I used a plastic disposable plate with paper towels to blot the grease. Guess where it went when I was done. In the trash. Where the plate will go sit in a landfill. At least the paper will decompose. But at least the egg shells will go toward a good use- the worm bin! Oh, did I mention I have a worm bin? Ok, so there's like two worms left. But I'll explain that in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment