Tuesday, September 24, 2013

rambling about health

I don't have much to report today, as most of it was spent asleep. One of the reasons I have recently started looking into organic and natural lifestyle is because I am not healthy. I don't mean that as I'm overweight, or I don't work out. I have a very weak immune system. I am currently fighting with a chronic sinus infection that I've been carrying for two years. I have no energy, overwhelming sinus pain and pressure, and a myriad of other symptoms that make my life not as good as I know it could be. So I hope between a balanced combination of antibiotics and better living, I can increase my standard of health.

I know a lot of people scream that antibiotics aren't necessary and a pure organic lifestyle will solve all my problems. But see, I have an issue with that. I've taken medical classes, and I know and understand how viruses and bacteria work. I know how vaccines work. I know how the immune system works. The best and most organic lifestyle in the world makes no difference to certain diseases. It does not make you invincible. Are we an overmedicated world? Absolutely. I certainly attribute some of my immune issues to how much I was given medication as a child when I was sick, which was often. Do some doctors prescribe unnecessary medication to pad their pockets? Undoubtedly. Do pharmaceutical companies overcharge for medicines that cost pennies to make? No question about it. And I will be the first to say that our health care system is completely messed up. But that does not change the fact that these medicines and vaccinations work. What seems to be forgotten is that these medicines work better when the patient is healthy, and if they are healthy and living a good lifestyle they will not need these medicines as often. Sadly, we live in a society that if we (normal american adult) gets sick, we have maybe 3-7 sick days a year, if we are lucky. So when we get sick, we run to our doctors and demand to be well as soon as possible, because we can't afford to miss work. They throw antibiotics at us, and we don't take the time to rest and let our bodies try to fight off the sickness, because we don't have time. We have to be back at work as soon as possible to make the bills, even if it means prolonging the sickness because we don't rest, and it certainly means infecting the people around you. Which keeps the chain going.

I could go on, but I'm pretty tired. So let me just say this- while I am trying to incorporate a better lifestyle and eating habits, I'm still taking my antibiotics. And I will take them as prescribed, for the full dose, and keep paying through the nose for them and to see my doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment