Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Gold medals

There is a saying going around on the internet that "winning an argument on the internet is like winning a gold medal in the Special Olympics." I usually take the advice to heart and keep my opinions to myself until asked for them. But yesterday as I was going through holistic healing facebook pages I came across a particular one that looked interesting.......until I saw their anti-vaccination posts. I could not help myself. When someone states an opinion that "Government and pharmaceutical companies have created every disease!" you almost beg for someone to point out that diseases like leprosy and the plague have been around for thousands of years, even when there was no government anywhere. I registered my opinion, pointed out the flaw, and messaged the moderator of the page to let her know that while I supported almost everything else on the page, I couldn't support letting babies go unvaccinated. While the patrons of the page have insulted my intelligence, questioned my schooling, and still continue to harass me, the moderator handled herself the way an adult would. She said she was sorry I was of that opinion, offered me some literature, and wished me a good day. Honestly, I would almost go back to that page because of her actions. But after spending so much time arguing, I'm so done with people like that.

I don't even know why this bothers me so much. Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If presented with evidence and research they choose to believe that the benefits of a vaccine do not outweigh the risks, that is their right. But I think it's because this is sadly one of those issues that whoever is wrong doesn't pay the price. A parent can't go back and undo their own vaccines. They let their child, who has no say in the issue, who doesn't understand the risks and benefits, bear the burden. I almost want to equate anti-vaccination people slightly below if not on the same level of fundamentalist christians who would rather pray a disease away instead of seek medical help. That's fine for yourself, but if your baby is running a 105 degree fever and can't breath you take her to a hospital. It's not her choice, not her belief.

Speaking of doctors, I saw my immunologist today. Still pretty sick. He gave me a different course of antibiotics, and said if I don't show improvement in two weeks that he would consider hospitalizing me. Not going to lie, it was scary to hear that. But really, do I have anyone to blame but myself? I am overweight, out of shape, on a typical American diet, and have been swallowing antibiotics at the first sign of sickness all my adult life. Hopefully it won't come to that. But I have a pot full of homemade chicken soup, full of veggies and garlic, simmering on my stove right now. I added a multivitamin and a probiotic to my pill regimen. I can't undo 29 years of bad living in two weeks, but at least I can stop slowly destroying myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment